Jammu and Kashmir Travel Tips
While travelling to Jammu & Kashmir (J&K), it is important to know about the region and what is considered appropriate to do and not to do during your stay.
Jammu & Kashmir Travel Tips is essential information for all visitors to ensure that your stay is memorable and safe as a priority. While J&K is gaining tremendous popularity as a tourist destination, it is also important for visitors to be well informed about the Do’s and Don’ts during your vacation or weekend getaway in Jammu and Kashmir.
Do's and Don'ts in Jammu & Kashmir
- Ensure to gain basic knowledge of Jammu & Kashmir which is vital to add a hassle-free vacation in J&K.
- Despite it sounding adventurous to just drop in Jammu & Kashmir, it is highly recommended to always plan your travel well in advance and book your trip from an authorized Travel Agency.
- Once your trip to J&K is booked, do inform your family members or friends about your travel itinerary as it comes handy during any emergencies.
- Do check the weather conditions before booking your trip to J&K and especially if it is a peak season or off-peak season to enjoy any discounts on your travel, sightseeing and hotel deals.
- Ensure to carry along your passport and keep it safe at all times to avoid any uncomfortable situation during your stay in Jammu & Kashmir.
- Contact your Embassy immediately in case you land up in legal hassle.
- Ensure that no one touches your luggage or hand bag after you exit the Airport or Railway Station and always keep it with you only.
- Contact the Airport travel help desk for any advice and information about your trip to J&K instead of asking people as they are aplenty touts hanging around these places.
- Always keep your cash and credit cards safely within your person and completely avoid interacting with anyone who is a stranger and who is unknown to you personally.
- It is not essential to carry along too much of cash as J&K is well equipped with Banks and ATMs.
- Always hire a pre-paid cab from the Airport or Railway Station to get to your destination or hotel.
- Ensure to contact your Travel Tour Operator for any sightseeing tour or trekking experience around Jammu & Kashmir and do not venture on your own to unknown or known territory as it is not safe.
- Do not get into any sort of schemes or agreements or anything else offered to your other than the authorized and genuine Tour Operators.
- It is imperative to get a waterproof laminated card of your details such as your complete name, physical address, blood group or any medical needs and information in case of any emergency.
- Avoid any arguments and misbehaving with anyone in J&K especially women and be respectful to all.
- In case of any unfavourable or bad experiences, approach your nearest Police Station and inform the Police about the incident.
- Always carry along a map of J&K and all the places you plan to visit.
- Always book a genuine travel and tour package from a government authorized Travel Agency and a licensed guide for any sightseeing and trekking tour as well.
- Show Respect to the region and ensure that your attire is of khaki, olive green, or brown colour and that it merges well with the surroundings to avoid any disturbances to the wildlife habitat during your visit to the J&K National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries.
- When visiting a religious place in Jammu & Kashmir, ensure to wear appropriate attire and do take off your shoes before entering the Temple or Mosque.
- Bring along warm clothing especially during the winter season and in case you are planning to trek to the highland regions of J&K or staying near the lakes of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Do carry your prescribed medication along with the Doctor’s prescription, a Travel Essential Kit, and Toiletry Kit especially if you are planning for a camping and trekking expedition around J&K.
- Do not entertain and encourage beggars and do not travel at odd hours during your stay in Jammu & Kashmir.
- Ensure to cross-check your Hotel Bill before making a payment.
- Avoid driving in J&K without a legal Driver’s License.
- Avoid eating at street stalls if you have a sensitive stomach.
- It is imperative to note that Kashmir is a Muslim city; therefore, it is advisable to avoid eating pork in the local premises due to Islamic rules and belief and to be sensitive to the Islamic customs and traditions and ensure that your attire / clothing is appropriate and not revealing throughout your stay in Jammu & Kashmir.
Though it is important to keep such information handy, do remember that Jammu & Kashmir is a stunning holiday destination which is also popularly known by many as ‘Paradise on Earth’ and ‘Switzerland of Asia’. This region may have its flaws but it surely entices all holidaymakers and honeymoon couples to its abode to enjoy its picturesque environments and incredible sky-kissed and snow-capped Himalayan mountain ranges that will touch your heart and soul.
Jammu & Kashmir is considered as one of the sought after holiday destinations in India that witnesses plenty of visitors annually. It offers a safe retreat and a fun-filled holiday experience to all visitors and will beckon you to come back again for another visit.